Planet Earth : Online IGCSE Chemistry Class
PLANET EARTH:ONLINE CHEMISTRY CLASS
What is the composition of gases in our atmosphere?
|Oxygen||21 per cent oxygen.|
|Nitrogen||78 per cent nitrogen|
|Inert Gas||Argon makes up about 1% of the atmosphere|
Please list the sources of pollution and their solutions
|Water Pollution||Factory waste
|Stop discharging toxic waste from factories into the river.
Prevent domestic waste that flows into the river and sea
|Air Pollution||Factory waste
Exhaust from transportation
|The factory should use catalytic converters to filter air before releasing to the environment
Cars and transport vehicles should adopt battery-powered
|Land Pollution||Domestic waste||Practice recycling and using biodegradable products|
Explain how the greenhouse effect occurs. (5 Points)
- The greenhouse effect is gasses in the earth’s atmosphere that trap the sun’s heat.
- Greenhouse effects occur due to the excess discharge of carbon dioxide.
- Carbon dioxide is released by cars and factories
- The trapped heat will make the earth hot which leads to global warming.
What gas chemicals contributed to acid rain? (2m)
Sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxides
What are the problems caused by acid rains (2m)
Acid rain leaches aluminium from the soil. Aluminium may be harmful to plants as well as animals.
Explain how depletion of the ozone layer causes health hazards. Explain with an example: (2m)
Ozone layer depletion causes increased UV radiation levels at the Earth’s surface, which is damaging to human health. Negative effects include increases in certain types of skin cancers, eye cataracts and immune deficiency disorders.
Below is the process of the water treatment plant
- Why does water need to be treated before drinking?
To kill bacteria and filter suspended materials.
- What are the health hazards? Name a few diseases that relate to untreated water during drinking Cholera, hepatitis A, typhoid
- Why is a small amount of chlorine added to the water?
It kills harmful microorganisms which are dangerous to health.
- Why is the distillation of seawater expensive for drinking?
The process takes longer to remove salt, and waste and requires complex filtrations.
Explain what are non-renewable sources of energy?
Non-renewable energy is an energy source that cannot be replenished
ONLINE TUITION CLASS
Interested to learn from our best tutor? Message me on WhatsApp and we will assist you. All our tutors have more than 10 years in teaching experience. With 2 lessons you will see immediate improvement